Air Conditioners can be a large investment, so we understand when customers are willing to spend time & money on repairs. However, sometimes it is best to opt to replace your air conditioner. If your unit is getting older, is inefficient, or you are constantly calling CJ Brubacher Ltd to come repair your A/C unit, then it might be time for a replacement. But how will you know for sure? Here are 5 tips to help you know when it is time to buy a new air conditioner.
5 signs it’s time to replace your air conditioner
- Is your air conditioner older than 10 years? If so, that may be the first sign. Most units should last approximately 15 years, if they are properly maintained. Given the huge advancements in efficiency over the last 10 years, however, it may end up being cheaper to buy a new model in the long run. This is especially true if you are about to spend a large portion of a new unit on repairing your old air conditioner.
- Your air conditioner is inefficient. If you own an A/C unit, now is a good time to check the SEER rating. Newly manufactured air conditioners must have a SEER rating of at least 13, but if yours is more than a decade old, there’s a strong chance it doesn’t meet this new standard. Replacing your air conditioner with a SEER 13 or better model will cut back on energy costs, as well as be positive for the environment.
- You just fixed it and… it has a new problem. If your air conditioner is breaking down frequently and CJ Brubacher’s technicians are finding new problems with it each time, you’ll want to start adding up the constant repair costs. Our technicians can provide a free quote while on-site, so make sure you consider all options.
- It feels uncomfortable in your home. If your home isn’t cool, yet your air conditioner is running constantly or more frequently than you feel it should, your A/C unit is probably past due for a replacement. If this is combined with breakdowns and the age exceeds a decade of use, you’ll want to replace it with a unit that will do its job and help you keep cool!
- Your repairs are going to break the bank. If you’re facing an expensive repair, you should definitely weigh the cost of the repair against the costs of a new unit. Does the repair cost cover a significant portion of a new air conditioner install? You will want to consider the other tips on this list and decide if it makes the most financial sense to repair or replace.
If you have any questions about when to replace your air conditioner, or if you’d like a cooling system serviced or installed in your home, contact CJ Brubacher Ltd, your Waterloo Region air conditioner installation and repair company.